Thursday, September 11, 2008

Gesturing with your left

I've been gesture drawing lately with my left hand (I'm right handed) just as an experiment. It's been quite interesting to see the drawings that emerge. I often times like them more than the drawings I do with my right hand. They have a freshness and life to them that my right handed drawings seem to lack. I'm not sure why this is, but I think it's because I have no bad habits with my left - no shorthands that I can rely on. It may also have to do with the fact that my left hand is directly connected to my right brain, so maybe that's helping? In any case, I recommend giving it a shot (if you're left handed, try drawing with your right). The first few drawings will probably be illegible, but push past them. I think you'll find that you'll get some very interesting results! Here are a few of the more successful left handed drawings I've done in the last two weeks: